Potato and Scallion Gratin
- 3 pounds of small potatoes (such as red or Yukon gold), sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for buttering dish
- 15 medium scallions, washed thoroughly, white and light-green parts only, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large pot of salted boiling water, parboil potatoes for 5 minutes. Drain potatoes well and set aside
In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. SautÃ© scallions and garlic until scallions are tender, about 7 minutes. Set aside.
In a buttered 9-by-13-inch baking dish, arrange half of the potatoes in an overlapping pattern. Pour 1 cup cream and 1/2 cup milk over top and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt.
Top with half of the scallion mixture. Arrange remaining potatoes. Pour remaining cream and milk over potatoes and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Top with the remaining scallions.
Bake until potatoes are tender, top of gratin is golden brown, and most of cream and milk have been absorbed, about 45 minutes. Garnish with parsley.
Adapted from The Beekman Boys Leek and Potato Gratin, 2012 beekman1802.com
Have a potato recipe to share? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on pinterest! https://www.pinterest.com/mtextpspp/