In order to apply for an Extension Agent position with MSU Extension, please submit:
- A letter of application that addresses the qualifications listed for that position**
- A current resume that includes names, addresses and phone numbers for references*
- An MSU Extension Criminal Record Check Authorization
- An Applicant Recruitment Tracking Form
* This number is typically five; however, please review each position announcement for the number requested by the supervisor.
** This should be re-written for EACH position for which you apply--each county has requested a separate letter of application.
For additional information, please contact:
Extension Personnel Office at (406) 994-1752, or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
How we evaluate applications for our Extension Agent positions
- Each position announcement has a list of qualifications, some required, some preferred. You must meet ALL of the required qualifications to be considered further.
- Each application is compared to those qualifications--if your application does not tell us how you meet those qualifications, we do not know. Please be certain you address those qualifications in your letter of application.
- If you are not comfortable listing your qualifications in letter form, you may additionally submit a statement of qualifications. On this statement, you should tell us how you meet each and every qualification listed for the position. Again, please be certain that you tell us how you meet those specific qualifications.
- While we refer to your resume to further determine your qualifications for the position, your letter of application should be the primary place for you tell us how you meet those qualifications.
Additional Information to Applicants for Employment with the Montana State University Extension Service
It is our intent to complete the processing of your application as thoroughly and as rapidly as possible. All information provided by you and your references will remain confidential within the Extension administrative staff and/or screening committee(s).
Position vacancy announcements for professional positions are prepared and distributed to all Extension staff members within the state of Montana and to an established mailing list for Montana and other states. Announcements identify duties and responsibilities, location of position, headquarters, and qualifications needed by the applicant.
You will be notified of any vacancies that occur in the Extension Service. Your application will be considered for each appropriate vacancy provided you submit a letter of application addressing the qualifications for that particular vacancy.
If you provide a a letter of application addressing the qualifications for a particular vacancy to the Extension Personnel Office, your application will be evaluated on a competitive basis with all other qualified candidates. The highest ranking candidates may be selected for an interview related to the position sought.
- Selection decisions are made on the basis of:
- a) Academic training and scholastic achievement
- b) Training in discipline appropriate for the announced position
- c) Demonstrated successful Extension and related work experience
- d) Ability to relate and interact with people
- e) Reference data
- f) Interview data
- g) Affirmative Action goals are considered during the selection process
If selected for an interview, you will be notified of the date of the interview, and you must attend the scheduled interview to be considered further. Any questions or further information requests may be directed to the Extension Personnel Office, MSU Extension Service, Culbertson Hall, MSU, P.O. Box 172230, Bozeman, Montana 59717-2230, telephone, (406) 994-1752, e-mail: email@example.com.
Montana State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and educational institution. No person shall, on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual preference, marital or parental status, age, creed, religion or political belief, mental or physical handicap or disability or status as a veteran, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or otherwise be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity of Montana State University or the Montana State University Extension Service.
ADA/EO/AA/VETERAN'S PREFERENCE: In compliance with the Montana Veteran's Employment Preference Act, MSU provides preference in employment to veterans, disabled veterans, and certain eligible relatives of veterans. MSU makes accommodation for any known disability that may interfere with an applicant's ability to compete in the hiring process or an employee's ability to perform the duties of the job. To claim veteran's preference or request accommodation, contact Human Resources/Affirmative Action, Hamilton Hall, MSU, Bozeman MT 59717-2430; 406-994-2042. MSU’s Affirmative Action Non-Discrimination Policy and Procedures are on the Web at www2.montana.edu/policy/affirmative_action/.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.